Emergency Dentist in Libertyville, IL
Dental emergencies can take you off-guard and shouldn’t be ignored. Ignoring a dental emergency might increase the risk of permanent damage or the need for expensive treatments. The golden rule is to see the dentist within thirty minutes or less to save on your tooth or other complications.
Some of the common dental emergencies are:
- Knocked out teeth: An avulsed tooth is quite painful, and it needs immediate attention. In the case of knocked out teeth, if there is profuse bleeding, it is essential to stop it. If you have managed to retrieve the tooth, hold it by the crown and rinse off the root of the tooth with water. Don’t remove any attached tissue fragments as these help in securing it back in the place. If it is not possible to reinsert the tooth, place the tooth in the small container of milk. See the dentist to return it to the socket within one hour of being knocked out.
- Broken and chipped tooth: In the case of chipped and cracked teeth it is critical to seek help from emergency dental specialists. If possible, save the broken tooth fragment. Rinse the mouth and broken pieces using warm water. In the case of bleeding, immediately apply the piece of gauze to the area for roughly ten minutes to stop the bleeding. See the dental emergency dentist to fix the broken or chipped tooth to avoid further damage.
- Partially dislodged tooth: Extruding tooth is quite painful, and there is a need to see the dentist immediately. To get relief from the pain till you reach the dentist apply cold compress on the cheek of the affected area. In the case of unbearable pain, you can even take over-the-counter pain relieving drugs.
- Dental bleeding: If your teeth are bleeding after some facial injury, rush for emergency dental treatment. Even if the bleeding stops after first aid, you must seek assistance from an emergency dentist.
- Broken wires and braces: In case a wire sticks out or breaks out of a bracket and pokes your cheek or gum or tongue, try and push it to a comfortable level. In case you can’t reposition it, add a cotton swab until you reach the dentist office. Don’t cut the wire, you might swallow it or breathe it accidentally. The dental emergency expert will fix the issue as soon as possible to provide you immediate relief.
- Abscess: It is an infection that usually occurs around the root of the tooth or in the space between the gums and teeth. Abscesses are a serious condition that can damage the surrounding teeth and tissues. If left untreated, the infection might spread to other parts of the body. It is best to see the emergency dental expert as soon as possible if you discover the signs like pain or swelling in your gums.
In the case of dental emergencies, don’t panic, call us at Park Avenue Dental Professionals and we will help you as soon as possible.